While I’m not immune to indulging in the trends out there, what about garments that expand your fashion arsenal and provide a whole lot of mileage year after year?
Wardrobe basics serve as a foundation for any great outfit. So here are my current favorite basics for going out:
1. High-waisted, skinny jeans: I'm a high-waisted jeans convert. Good-bye, muffin top! Super soft denim, generous stretch, just the right amount of distress, and the perfect length are some of the reasons why these Citizens jeans are my absolute favorite of the moment. I even traveled in these jeans instead of my old Lululemon standbys on a flight from NYC to Vancouver. Yes, they're THAT comfy...yet very flattering!
2. Black silk top: Whether it's a long-sleeved button-up shirt or a camisole, the black silk top is your blank canvas. Super versatile on its own or as a layering piece, the black silk top easily transitions from something casual to something dressy with the right snazzy accessories. When it comes to your basic black top, splurge a little for excellent tailoring, fit, and quality. It makes a difference.
3. Oversized sunnies: Thanks to genetics, my nose lacks a bridge on which to properly perch pretty pairs of sunglasses. As such, the quest to find the right oversized pair is never ending. However, I think I've come close to perfect with these cat-eyed sunglasses from D&G.
4. Stiletto Pumps: Let's face it - pointy-toed stilettos are the devil's spawn. I have no idea how anyone can walk in these torturous shoes for more than five minutes. But...they look so damn hot! To cope, I've relegated my DVF pair only to those sit-down dinners with Uber chauffeuring me door-to-door. I'm also open to anyone willing to carry me. Volunteers?
5. Red lipstick: Many of us know how difficult it is to find the right shade of red lipstick. With a whole lot of trial and error, I have narrowed it down to two favorites: (1) Maybelline's On Fire Red for a blue-based tone that I love for summer (worn for this shoot) and (2) Lorac's Dominatrix, a darker shade for winter.
6. Clutch purse: There's something about a pretty clutch that ties together an outfit for me. This leather foldover immediately caught my eye because the understated leather basket weave elevates the basic black to something quite special. Better yet, my iPhone 6 easily fits into this baby.
Well there you have it - my favorite basics. While not exhaustive, this list contains the top six items I find myself pulling out of the closet each time I reach inside to make an outfit. What are your basics?